At Julian Middle School
416 S Ridgeland Ave in Oak Park
Welcome to the event page for the 2018 Battle of the Bots Chicagoland Robotics League Championship. This is an exciting, all-day competition for some of the best VEX Robotics middle school teams in Illinois!
This event is a great way to get kids excited about STEM learning.
Stay tuned for updates about the 2019 program.
7:00 AM – Doors open for teams and public
7:00 AM – Inspections begin
7:15 AM – Skills arena opens
7:30 AM – Judging interviews begin
9:00 AM – Drivers’ meeting
9:20 AM – Opening ceremony
9:30 AM – Qualification Matches begin
12:00 PM – Lunch break (30 minutes)
1:00 PM – Skills Arena closes
2:30 PM – Alliance selection begins
3:30 PM – Elimination Matches begin
4:45 PM – Awards ceremony
5:30 PM – Conclusion of event
* This is a live event and actual times may vary slightly.
- Completed Team Information Online Form
- A photo of your team (for Judging reference as well as inclusion in our PowerPoint Pre-Show in the event arena).
Every team member participating in the event—students, coaches and mentors—must also complete and turn in an OPEF VEX Robotics Photo Release form at check-in.
Your team must have arrived, checked in and passed inspection by 8:15 am.
If you have issues in transit the morning of the tournament, you need to immediately contact Mary Beth Hausken, Event Director at 708-214-1669
We will work with your team in whatever way we can, but we cannot delay the start of the tournament.
Note: There will be a Robot loading zone in the main parking lot for easy loading/unloading of equipment.
The Competition Cafe will be open from 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
Breakfast items will include bagels, donuts, coffee and juices. Lunch items will include pizza, subs, chips, water and juices. There will also be plenty of snacks and beverages to choose from.
Pre-order Lunch – Take advantage of early bird pricing and skip the lines by pre-ordering and paying for lunch online! To order, go to the Pre-order Online Food Form. Please note: You must use a credit card to place an order. This site will close on Tuesday, February 27 at midnight.
KEEP UP WITH ALL THE ACTION!
Inspection will open at 7:00 AM.
- All teams must pass inspection in order to compete in the Battle of the Bots. All teams need to have passed inspection by 8:15 AM so the tournament schedule can be set and published.
- We strongly encourage you to review the In the Zone Inspection Checklist and pre-inspect your robot before showing up for the event.
- If you are having trouble passing inspection, let us know and our inspectors will work with your team. We want every team to be able to compete and have a great time!
Robot Skills Challenge
The Robot Skills Challenge Arena will be open from 7:15 AM - 1:00 PM. Teams must have passed inspection before they can do the challenge. We recommend you do the Skills Arena early in the morning as we expect it to be very busy. The rules are as follows:
- Each team can do unlimited Driving Skills matches and Programming Skills matches.
- After 12 noon, teams with zero Programming or Driver Skills matches will be allowed to cut in line to ensure everyone gets at least one run at each event. Please note that the Robot Skills arena must close at 1 pm.
Judging interviews will be scheduled from 7:30 - 9 AM. Judges will spend the rest of the day talking to teams in the Pit and observing them in
the match arena.
The judges will present the following awards at our event:
Most Judges' award winners will be announced before or during the Elimination Matches. The Excellence and Design awards will be presented at the end of the tournament. You can see the Judging schedule here
Trophies will be awarded for the following:
- Excellence Award Winner
- Tournament Champions
- Tournament Finalists
- Robot Skills Winner
- Design Award
- Judges Award
- Build Award
- Innovate Award
- Think Award
- Sportsmanship Award
OPEF VEX Robotics Sponsorship
Show Your Support Today
Join the businesses that are helping Oak Park students get excited about learning! OPEF VEX Robotics teaches students the academic and life skills they need to excel. They learn not only technology and programming skills, but also teamwork, leadership, problem-solving and project management skills.
PLATINUM SPONSOR ($5000+)
GOLD SPONSOR ($2500+)
SILVER SPONSOR ($1,000+)
BRONZE SPONSOR ($500+)